Jon Stewart, Daily Prophet?

By David Waters In the July issue of Sojourners magazine, the Rev. Jim Wallis calls the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart … Continued

By David Waters

In the July issue of Sojourners magazine, the Rev. Jim Wallis calls the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart a prophet. “The Hebrew prophets often use humor, satire, and truth-telling to get their message across, and I feel you do a combination of all three,” Wallis told Stewart. “I think you are a little like a Hebrew prophet after all.”

Stewart, who deflates big egos for a living, would have none of it. “It may be true that the Hebrew prophets used humor in that regard, to create social change, but it was also used by Borscht Belt social directors. We’ve got a lot more in common with them than the prophets.”

Stewart is more than a comedian. He’s the Will Rogers of our time, laughing with us as he sharply and satirically mocks the absurdities of politics, media and popular culture. But a prophet? Seems like quite a stretch, at least in the theological sense of the word.

“Prophecy is born precisely in that moment when the emergence of social political reality is so radical and inexplicable that is has nothing less than a theological cause,” wrote Christian theologian Walter Brueggemann, whose scholarship on the Old Testament prophets is prophetic in its own right.

In Stewart’s world of real people and fake news, cause and effect are clearly comical, not theological.

Brueggemann’s description of of prophetic tradition could also be used to describe the tradition of social satire from Voltaire and Swift to Twain and Vonnegut: “The prophetic tradition is basically to create a mode of public discourse that exposes establishment commitments as phony and self-serving … to create a way of speaking publicly that shows how our ordinary discourse hides and trivializes the power questions.”

Stewart spends plenty of time exposing the phony and self-serving powers that be, but he told Wallis he doesn’t think people should see what he does as social activism.

“Because we’re in the public eye, maybe people project onto us their desires for that type of activism coming from us, but just knowing the process here as I do, our show is maybe the antithesis of activism, and that is a relatively selfish pursuit. The targets we choose, the way we go about it — it’s got more of a personal venting aspect than a socially conscious aspect.”

Real prophets aren’t venting on their own. “God is raging in the prophet’s words,” wrote Abraham Joshua Heschel, the great 20th-Century Jewish theologian.

I don’t think Jon Stewart qualifies as a prophet, but who’s to say God doesn’t also send us court jesters?

Written by

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    Terrific essay, David. Wonderful.Heschel. Yes, he was one of the greatest Jewish theologians of the twentieth century, despite not having been a systematic thinker. He was also (?) a staunch fighter for Justice, a worker in the Civil Rights Movement, an outspoken opponent of the Vietnam War, etc.I wonder what he’d be saying today, as students are being shot in the streets of Iran. Because he would say something. Of that, I have no doubt.I once heard Cornel West remark on Heschel….Heschel loved Justice, utterly comprehended the supreme danger of Idolatry. In some ways, in himself, he comprehended the differences between Judaism and Christianity. How does one even begin to explain?To Jewish ears, the words social justice are redundant. What other kind is there? And justice there must be. Whether observant or cultural/secular, it’s often, though, of course far from always, in the blood. Take for instance poverty. Why do we give to those in need? Not to be kind. But because poverty is unjust. In Hebrew, the words for justice and poverty are closely related. One gives to those who have less because need is an injustice, and it is Human’s job to end injustice. Period. Hence state/church divisions are not quite so divided.As for Stewart, I’m afraid he is merely, a very talented Jew, not a prophet, not a comedian in the tradition of the Borscht Belt, not a court jester. He ‘s a politically conscious Jew with a great sense of humor. A Jew who cringes at pretense, fakery, pomposity, exploitation, and renders it with satire. He sees the humor in it, the absurdity, the irony. What, she asks, after six thousand years, is new.

  • Paganplace

    Stop trying to psych the man out. We know what this is. 🙂

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    Correction to post:But because poverty is unjust. In Hebrew, the words for INjustice and poverty are closely related.

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    PaganPlace: It really is a first-rate essay. Discourse level has risen a bit at the OnFaith Saloon. Click on the links….

  • liveandlove

    Mr. SATAN is the blood Brother of Mr. JESUS whom both have the same FATHER but different of different MOTHER’s?YASHUA is Dead. Please, Stop Already!The “COSMIC FEELER’s FAITH” System, a belief like a religion yet better is taking Over. And no Human can ever fake it.Say “Goodbye” to ALL ABRAHAMICc Jude-Jewishness systems, and to all Judeo-Chrisiness and All Judeo-Islamisness sytems and say “Goodbye” to ALL VEDIC Judeo-Hinduness & ALL Judeo-Buddhaness etc..So Wanna-be’s whom are psychopathic (self Convincing wrong) can imagine themselves as if be “god players” and (un) godly men.The idea that, “WE are god’s choosen people” [not some of US whom are outside of both VEDIC and ABRAHAMIC, PAGAN, Witch/WICCAN, SHAMIN and or VOODOOists systems etc..] has to Die a Rude-Awakening Death (in the Minds Pride) knoll.Believe this TRUTH (opposite MYTH) or perish or Be left Behind. Note: This god like god player of a “Mouth Piece” mentioned above is a bonafide “Nut Case”! Always coming-up with “EXCUSES” as if their god(s) man-made systems are still in vogue or Fad? Suddenly their Religion is Dynamic and not Static?Even the VATICAN , forget the Intel Designers Liar’s known as the Evangelicals here, knows they are [in FEAR of] being left behind…” by the “NEW-AGE-SECULAR-WORLD”. The battle is justly being won by the New Age SECULAR folk movement World Wide and cannot be reversed (as If god goes back on “IT”s Word?).There’s “REALITY”(a Cosmic Experience in LAWs of Nature aka CLAUSES (via real Science, not fake Metaphysicals as in obsolete Bibles) and there’s “DEITY” (not a HE or a SHE but an “IT”; NO Jesus, No Moses, No Muhammd, No Vyasa, No Gautama and other ancient thinking jealous folks trying to blend-in as if be modern?) and there’s the the “UNIVERSE” aka CONSTITUTION (not Church)..

  • ccnl1

    Liveandlove?? Are you from the world of JJ?? or are you possibly someone else???

  • Paganplace

    “PaganPlace: It really is a first-rate essay. Discourse level has risen a bit at the OnFaith Saloon. Click on the links….”–Farnaz1Mansouri1 When I said ‘Stop trying to psych the man out,’ well, that was humor, too. 🙂

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    New age secular world….hmmm. Not a bad idea.

  • hootie1fan

    The thing about Jon Stewart and the daily Show is that they make you think which is something you just don’t get a lot of elswhere.

  • asoders22

    Nah – I love Stewart, but he’s no prophet. Wanda Sykes is.

  • johnhouse

    Prophet? – No! Truth teller? – the best! But let’s be honest, the average politician makes his job soooooo easy. The average anchorperson from “real news” makes Jon’s job even easier.Suggestion to the real news – don’t take yourselves sooooo seriously.

  • asoders22

    Btw, that photo above this article freaks me out. It says UNDER GOD, and beside are three males in tuxes or something (John McCain, that nutty pastor, and Obama), seen from underneath, towering against the sky (or some roof). Are they the god in question? If not, why are they chosen? What have they to do with Under God?

  • arancia12

    I think it is important to note that Jim Wallis said of Stewart, “I think you are a little like a Hebrew prophet after all.”It seems that lately we have developed the habit of taking comments and making them into absolute statements. Wallis said that Stewart is “a little like.” That means he shares some attributes but Wallis did not say Stewart is a prophet.This style of journalism is good for stirring up comments but please don’t change what Rev. Wallis said. That is poor journalism and not particularly ethical.

  • james_m_reilly1

    He is funny if you are a liberal… He gets his laughs by lampooning anyone who might have “conservative” views. In our Progressive world of show biz they are the backward, redneck. non elitist, non intellectual dummies of our society…His crowd loves to laugh at that group.. but liberals find NOTHING funny if the satire is aimed at them…

  • kurtbw

    Interesting. Prophets are picked because of their timing, faith to believe, even during converts (Paul from Saul, Simon to Peter) and so on. The lifestyles can be lofty (Moses) to downright gritty or blue collar equivalent (Joshua and Noah, Lot). God’s eyes are different from our own and he sess through “vainess, idoltry, impatience and envy”. All enimies of obedience. Drawing attention to yourself in a “protective bubble” lifestyle, will NEVER be the way a prophet reaches the poorest of poor and most likely for ANY current REAL prophets, we probably can’t even speak their native language. God NEVER limited himself to the Holy Bible, or a certain part of his creation – The World.You have a better chance with Conan Obrien, to challenge.All others are hoarding information off the net,etc. and then speak. God speaks through a man or woman living near a dump or a woman concerned of her nation, who is locked into computer screens, tvs, and radio. You would be amazed, since the last 30 years have spoiled so many of us, in different ways from keys, to transporation, to how we BUY and EAT our food.Nice try.

  • presto668

    james_m_reilly1:I gather from this that you aren’t a regular viewer of the Daily Show, because he has skewered the Obama administration quite a few times, and the audience laughed just as much as always.

  • zjr78xva

    Stewart is witty by TV standards, but his truth-telling is decidedly selective. He’s occasionally skewer sacred cows on his side of the ideological aisle, but rarely. He was much funnier on the outside looking in.

  • cgillard

    He may be a profit and the wages of war may be a false profit but the God in God and Country is a nationalistic god and so is religion as long as it goes along. The chosen people seem to be one’s own country!

  • zjr78xva

    I think Wallis is just trying to sound hip.

  • whistling

    Well, if THAT doesn’t kill the long running show, nothing will.It’s getting to be, most people think, in the media, all day, every day. The holocause has perhaps beeen put out there too much for most…to the point of disgust.So now we’re gonna try Hebrew prophets and

  • FrankRegan4455

    Prophet, what nonsense. Mainstream media because of those endless consolidations under increasingly fewer editorial staffs who pander to the public’s whims and their aiding and abetting the Bush administration while they lied us into the War with Iraq, are dysfunctional. Stewart captures the hypocrisy, silliness, and downright fraud that mainstream media continues to engage in why they strive for legitimacy and credibility.

  • borntoraisehogs

    If I were a Jewish prophet , I would shed the Leibowitz and just be known as putz .

  • kaycwagner

    I think Jon is a comedian, sorta like Bush only with Jon, it’s smart and intentiional.

  • dy19spider57

    Jon is a comedian and a very intelligent person, but no a prophet. Hope he doesn’t continue to put people down to make himself look better, that is a quick way to disaster.

  • AIPACiswar

    As Christopher Hitchens so eloquently writes; religion poisons everything it touches. All religion, under every guise, is anathema to human progress and peace. The religious are terrorists and their leaders are criminals.

  • aussiebones

    he’s a funny guy…who tells the truth…in 2009 ..that’s a Prophet

  • gberke

    stewart is very very good. seems to be honest, hard working, revealing…

  • NCDem1

    I enjoyed this, David. Thanks for bringing the article to our attention.A. Hatcher

  • danw1

    I get stoned and watch the “prophet” every night he’s on!

  • GaryEMasters

    I did not knew he is a Jew, but that is not enough for me. He needs to be better.I am just confused when I watch him. I do know I would never let him in my home.

  • las100

    He must have special divine powers…Cheney is afraid of having his behavior judged by him…and Obama’s justice department agrees it would be bad enough to influence other politico’s willingness to talk about their conduct, if not influential enough to influence the behavior itself…

  • spidermean2

    The idiot Wallis just show how really stupid liberal clergies are. How can you call Jon Stewart a prophet when this idiot is an atheist and doesn’t feel any conviction disrespecting Christ?Maybe he and Stewart will share a cell in hell after this life. Just maybe, but you know what? Im almost 100% sure they will fry in hell.Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want anybody to go to hell. But if you know the rules of God, you can just pity these people.

  • palnicki

    The new religion based on Stewart should be called Show Biz. Prophecy is a dangerous business. All forgive those prophets who are wrong, none forgive those who are right till long after they have been killed for being right. Let the man be funny. As long as he looks at politics he will never run out of sources for new jokes. All politicans are funny in some fashion, a few are humorous. I don’t have cable so I see parts of the show on the net. I don’t believe I could stand as much laughing as would be required if I watched him several times each week. I know that laughter is the best medicine but I fear an overdose.

  • TomCoronaCA

    He is Thoughtful and Honest. Two characteristics that could get him elected in New York but might not be the right mix for a PROPHET.

  • chatard

    Can we expect soon a piece in the ‘Faith” column about how Al Franken is a ‘prophet’? David Letterman?

  • Chops2

    Jon Stewart a prophet?This really does display the ludicrous nature of religion when a comedian gets named a prohphet. It also shows that prophets r bogus. If u wanna call them great men with a message then so be it, I concur. But to stretch ANYONE as a prophet i garbage and we in this modern age dont fall for that tripe too often.

  • jtcmd

    Stewart is just a smirking liberal who’s show can’t even beat ancient re runs of Law and Order or NCIS.

  • iamerican

    There is but one G-d, The Creator of the Universe.A prophet is merely one who “speaks for G-d” by restricting his or her utterances to the truth.Stewart is a whig. By Creed, whigs founded America as the Garden of the World, in Covenant: by “Annuit Coeptis,” as The New Secular Order (“Novus Ordo Seclorem”) for “E Pluribus Unum.” One G-d, One Law, One Nation…Justice in Truth: Righteousness.Our Mottoes, inscribed on the Great Seal, comprise The Creed, revealed at the Founding for all to understand American Truth and American Exceptionalism…and “a message in a bottle” should the day come when most have “forgotten” why we came here.Stewart’s self-identification as a “whig” should have tipped any intelligent commenters, at least those who claim or acknowledge American citizenship, to recognize that America’s whig founders were also prophets, and Stewart is merely following them…as should all true Americans – White, Black, Jew, and Gentile.Thomas Jefferson was Prophet, Author, and Founder of America. Wm&Mary alum Stewart knows the truth of his schoolmate Jefferson.Anybody can read Mr. Jefferson’s writings to receive revealed prophetic wisdom.Stewart, an American patriot in the tradition of the Founding Whigs, is wisely and profitably carrying on this noblest of American traditions – telling the unvarnished truth – despite the now waning power and evil of the Roman Anti-Christ’s “Fifth Column,” (“whig” means “anti-Roman Catholic”) which has with seeming impunity assassinated our leaders since Meriwether Lewis and Lincoln, stolen our resources, financed the rise of Hitler and the Holocaust from its American collection plates, installed the unconstitutional Fed – and killed President Kennedy to restore it sending us to die protecting its Indochinese latifundial estate from a Vietnamese nationalist follower of the Jeffersonian Whig Revolution, Ho Chi Minh – and cheated the son of one of JFK’s assassins into the White House to commit 9/11.Dr. King told us we were on “the wrong side of the global revolution” one year, to the day, before the Roman Catholics in the CIA and FBI killed him. That “global revolution” is America’s Whig Jeffersonian Revolution begun in 1776 against the Old Sectarian Order of king and pope, history’s “default” caesaropapism which Hitler and Rome’s “Fifth Column” in America (Ailes, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, Rove, PNAC, CFR, et al) support.Stewart is a true American. That means he’s a prophet, profiting from doing G-d’s work. Everyone else should try to be one too.May G-d Bless the American People and President ObamaDeath for Treason, by G-d

  • lswonder

    Jon Stewart is a very funny guy. He calls out hypocrites and humbles the big headed. That is much more than can be said of 99.99% of the world’s population.

  • danw1

    SPIDERMEAN2,If you knew the rules of god, you would know there are no “cells” in hell. Also, vegetable oil doesn’t exist down there so “frying” doesn’t work. Thank you and may god bless.

  • trei0013

    Jon Stewart was one of the first people with the courage to speak out against the Bush administration after 9/11. Prophet? Just a comedian? I’m not sure. To me he’s a hero.

  • CraiginJersey

    I have watched the guy countless times, haven’t cracked even a smile. He spent years showing clips of George W. Bush being a moronic chimpanze, then flashing a quirky smile. How hard was that? Borscht Belt comedian? Please. He ain’t no Rodney Dangerfield.

  • spidermean2

    danw1, ever heard of the term “figure of speech”? Of course there is no “cell” in hell and absolutely no vegetable oil.Are you Jim Wallis? This person is harming Christianity more than Jon Stewart does. If Hitler was alive today and JIm lives in Germany, he might kiss Hitler’s toe nails.

  • spidermean2

    If Jon Stewart is a prophet to Jim Wallis, I wonder who the god of this idiot is. It’s really a shame he calls himself a Christian.

  • CraiginJersey

    It’;s a sad commentary on contemporary comedy, that this guy would even be considered in the same class as Rodney Dangerfield or Henny Youngman. Come on, you shmucks, those guys had creative talent., not news video clips.

  • paultaylor1

    Maybe I’m missing something.Jon Stewart is funny. He is intelligent. He is an astute social observer and commentator. But he is no more so and no more a prophet than Steven Colbert or Bill Maher, who are in his league. This is the third time I’ve recently heard a celebrity personality and the concept of religious prophet linked in the same breath. One of them is our own leader, President Obama. Have some from those many Americans who wandered from their religious cocoons begun looking for religion a little closer to reality? Or has reality become a television experience?

  • manisthemeasure1

    ” If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him “No, Jon is not a prophet. He is a comedian who has a microphone and a stage and is using it well.A good comedian is naught without a knack for the absurd and the ironic and Jon, and his writers, are adroit at sniffing out absurdity and irony from conditions regular folks would tend to overlook.Jon is a comedian who is good, not because he is a Jew but who happens to be a Jew.Let’s keep it that simple..and enjoy the show.

  • walkerbert

    I don’t see Jon Stewart as a prophet, I see him and his fellow comedians as a great platform not just of satire, but also of free speech and a little bit of frank conversation when a lot of the other networks seem to be competing in a plate-spinning act. I really enjoyed some of the people like Samantha Bee, Rob Cordry, and others before and since who’ve done such a great job. Stephen Colbert is another great comedian, I think between em all they help to show the lighter side of politics, and a laugh is a good break from the usual flow of news. What’s more, I think they also sometimes cover subjects that the mainstreamers either treat fleetingly, or miss altogether, providing a little more variety overall in terms of media coverage. Great show, I hope it runs another 10 years, but prophet? No…

  • DwightCollins

    stewart is just a liberal loudmouth, who has a show on the comedy network because his reporting’s are nothing but a joke…

  • Liedigk

    No I do not think so, because there is probably no God in Universe.

  • Sigma2010

    I watched Stewart give a commencement address at his Alma Mater William & Mary several years ago and it was hilarious. He is indeed a Court Jester of the first order and humor speaks truth to power in a way that catches people off guard, makes them laugh, and saves their dignity all at the same time. Stewart does have a certain demographic and political persuasion in his audience, but his observations and humor are omnidirectional and show no mercy to either side of the aisle.

  • cisconwa

    Stewart simply eliminates the media filters, he’s not worried he will be ignored at White House press briefings, or the pious politicians’ ghostwriting gig he’s angling for will disappear, or better yet having to manage his relationship with the powerful and in exchange pass off propaganda as news for his byline. At the core, that is the humor WaPo, et al don’t get, Stewart is directly skewering you and calling you out on the poor ethics practiced by the media.

  • analyst72

    God doesn’t also send us court jesters? asks the columnist.

  • samantas

    Jon is a phony. He feigns he is a comedian but he is actually attempting to change the world! I mean through changing the US! I like him and I respect him. When all the media moguls are lying and cheating serving the interest of rulers, Jon keeps talking truth while feigning he is entertaining. His is the only TRUE news channel. Sunil Samanta

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 dispensed: “Bevjims, forget about the millions of years.”That was easy. No counter argument, just a dismissal of fact. spidermean2 wrote: “Im still waiting for evolutionists to come out and explain how they have constructed the algorithm of decendancy just by examining bones.”What makes you think decency has an algorithm?spidermean2 wrote: “The first evolutionists like Darwin never had imagined that bones are designed or formed by DNAs.”That’s right but they did understand that traits are carried through generations. They did understand artificial selection since farming and breeding animals was well known then. They knew traits could be passed on by something. They knew mutations, changed traits, could appear rarely. They nkew a lot, just not the exact reason.The brain is studied a lot. But it is not like a computer, which your brain imagines. In fact, it is nothing like a computer or you would not forget things. But just to get you started on your juorney to understand something, ask yourself why you sleep. HINT: Its not because of an algorithm.spidermean2 wrote: “If you claim to know, as you always have answers for everything, then why not create a brain or an artificial brain that can match even the brain of a worm?”Its been done for very small and simple animals but even there not exactly. A brain is not a machine. It does not use binary or other computer methods. Its as different from a computer as a kidney is different from a computer.How did those kangaroos get to Australia?spidermean2 wrote: “The brain has more information in it than bones.”Not after you die.spidermean2 wrote: “You guys should be looking for the brains of those prehistoric animals and study them so it can be told that you have some sort of a complete picture.”Been done to some extent. The brain cases of fossils can tell us something about the animal’s brain but not everything.spidermean2 wrote: “But it’s impossible to have a complete picture coz nobody understands fully how a brain works.Right, so what do we do? Ignore the clear evidence because we don’t know EVERYTHING and just atribute it all to a God? That’s just being lazy.spidermean2 wrote: “I hope Jon Stewart would realize that there are lots of material from evolution to laugh at. Lots of them that he could extend his show for a thousand years more.”Maybe you can come up with some? How about how the kangaroos jumped on logs and floated, with about 200 other species, to Australia after the flood. That should get a good laugh.

  • JimGoldbloom1

    There is a saying, humor requires intelligence. This is not to say Einstein was a laugh a minute or did standup at his local Württemberg Improv when not writing equations. Stewart is obviously a very smart man who uses humor to point out truth about daily events somewhere in between the sarcasm and equivocation. This is hardly “fake news” and he’s not a prophet, he’s just a funny middle aged Jewish man who has the wisdom of a keen observer and the mastery of a Rabbi. In the sense of Yoda, if he were circumcized.

  • DrWho2

    To BevjimsIt should be obvious that the kangaroo carried the other species over in its pouch per G-d’s command, so it would only take one log hopping joy riding kangaroo to populate Australia. I am surprised you did not think of this.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 gushed: “Since evolutionists are fond of stating the phrase “MILLIONS OF YEARS”, surely they may have found the relation of TIME to the process of EVOLUTION.”If you are talking about the mutation rate it is well defined. But not everything evolves. Crockadiles have been around virtually unchanged for hundreds of millions of years. Evolution is a response to the environment, its not a response to time.spidermean2 asked: “Waht is so magical in TIME that species should have to evolve?”Nothing, and they don’t “have to evolve”. Not on its own, no.Nope, but such an idea came to the mind of Jean Batiste Lamark in the 18th century. He thought animals acquired their traits. Giraffes had long necks because each generation kept reaching for higher leaves on the tree, wanting longer necks and passing along that “aquired trait” to its young. Darwin showed that was bogus.spidermean2 asked: “What triggers the evolution. I want to know so I can use the logic involved to let my gadgets evolve by themselves.”There are many computer algorithms that use evolutionary processes to evolve the computing method. You should look into those to see who evolution can work. Its not the same as the evolution of life, but it might be something you can get your mind around:

  • bobdog3

    To spidermean2:Nanook here. I really like your theory on kangaroos, although I suspect it would have had to have been a pretty good sized log, but other than that, an infallable argument that completely negates that tired old theory of evolution. Personally and as a loyal Canadian, I suscribe to the theory of the great Northern Beaver Rush of 5,000 BC, before Adam and Eve but just after the Ice Age, when millions of genetically altered beavers (before they were fitted for bucked teeth) traversed across great prairies and rushing rivers to settle in Canada on the back our our nickle. It was an arduous journey, and many a brave beaver gave their lives so that many more could settle in the great White North. And with the help of a really good public relations agency, beavers today have become our national symbol. Long live the beaver…and Jon Stewart, too (read previous post).

  • DrWho2

    To Spiderman2;If you are going to bash a theory, and call people that accept a theory idiots, it would be a good idea if you understood it first. After you have a complete understanding of it, which based on your questions, you obviously don’t, feel free to refute it.

  • bevjims1

    DrWho2 wrote: “It should be obvious that the kangaroo carried the other species over in its pouch per G-d’s command, so it would only take one log hopping joy riding kangaroo to populate Australia. I am surprised you did not think of this.”One kangaroo populated Australia? Maybe God then took its rib and made a woman kangaroo to keep it company, then kicked it out of Kakadoo after a snake told the female to eat an apple. This is fun! When you can make stuff up its much easier than the hard work of reading, analyzing and understanding.

  • lildg54

    Stewart is refreshing, fun, and insightful great guy but a prophet naw . Rush is the prophet he lets everyone know what and who the fat blowhard is HIM

  • DrWho2

    Bevjim;Yes, only one kangaroo, it was preggie with twins. (sigh) You really need to give this more thought before you refute the obvious.

  • alex35332

    I saw 3 birds flying in a circle over a tomato plant, one then landed on my Star Trek TNG towel. If thats not a clear sign from god that John Stewart’s the next great prophet I don’t know what is.

  • DrWho2

    I can’t think of one incidence of a prophet using humor to get across their point in the Bible. Perhaps people that are bettered versed then myself in the Old Testament can provide one (or the New Testament).

  • spidermean2

    Of course kangaroos didn’t hug a log. But you know what, it could still be possible. A small kangaroo can fit in any log carved like a canoe. It doesn’t mean I believe that but the point is it’s easier to hop to Australia than to evolve from a million years old marsupial to a kangaroo. So where did that aged masupial evolved from? Soon, you have to resolved that it evolved from a grasshopper.Evolutionists are dreamers. Bevjims said that decendacy has no algorithm.Everything has algorithm, idiot. That’s very basic science. Even the process of eating has algorithm. One is you use a fork and spoon. Another is you use your bare hands. And thirdly, you can pick the food using your mouth.Everything has algorithm and if you think that evolution has no algotrithm, it is because Darwinian evolution DOES NOT EXIST and you are a dumb fool.The sad fact is that your idiocy has a price to pay. You might end up in a big frying pan.Im not sure if that’s a funny scenario that Jon and Bevjims can laugh about. It’s not millions of years in hell but forever.Waht stupidity these people possess? Nothing can top it.In hell, you guys might finally know how the kangaroos hopped to Australia or had it hatched from an egg. And the sad fact is that it doesn’t matter anymore when you’re frying.

  • spidermean2

    Everything has an algorithm and if you evolutionists has nothing to show of, don’t make idiotic conclusions that you are the decendant of king kong.Believe it yourselves or fool yourselves but don’t share your stupidity to young kids in school.

  • bobdog3

    Spidermean2If kangaroos didn’t hug a log to Australia, then what about our busy little beavers? Our whole Canadian identity relies on the validity of the Great Northern Beaver Rush of 5,000 BC (before Adam and Eve, but just after the Ice Age, remember?) Say it ain’t so!!!! We’re gonna have to change our all of our nickles, eh?

  • spidermean2

    Any evolutionist here who can explain the algorithm of the evolution of how kangaroos learn to jump?The algorithm of the evolution of reproduction using a pouch. Anyone?The algorithm of self reproduction itself. A thing reproducing itself is a very complicated science. Any evolutionist know the algorithm for that?idiots to the max.

  • whocares666

    Why did I read this ?

  • spidermean2

    Since evolutionists don’t know HOW TO INTERPRET the Bible, it’s better that you guys don’t quote from the book. For all you know, the story of Adam and Eve is also a metaphor of how man’s stupidity will banish him from the face of the earth.So please bevjims and others, stop quoting from the Bible. Just prove your idiotic theory how it is possible that you descended from king kong and leave the Bible alone. It has a mind of its own which you guys are not capable of comprehending.

  • What7

    The answer to the question is contained in every comment and opinion above.

  • bevjims1

    Not sure what is worse, listening to spidermeans2 on earth or being in hell, forever and ever, without him. This assumes of course he is not going to hell, which I think is pretty clear since most religions do not send those who have not reached the age of reason to hell.Spidermean2,

  • Gutavo

    Stewart is a gifted comedian and satirist, no more, no less. Not that isn’t enough.

  • DrWho2

    Spiderman2According to wiki:Algorithym of a kangaroo jump:1. Bend legs.Hope this helps.

  • crrobin

    Ah, there is no evidence of anything but ENERGY/atoms that creates that make up the universe. That being said, inmature Jon, who use to be a nice young comedian, muggs the camera and shouts way to much. It’s a living. If that is fit for newsworthy discussion, perhaps newspapers should fold until news, NOT entertainment, becomes the medium again. “Network” the movie said it all and this article fits.

  • DrWho2

    It must be a slow day in news to print such a trivial article and choose such a topic for a ‘serious?’ discussion.Jim Wallis does not truelyconsider Jon a prophet, so why bother.

  • ctenwith

    Define ‘prophet’. A lucky guesser? In ‘World Set Free’, H.G. Wells’ descriptions of ‘atomic warfare’ are eerily accurate BEFORE World War I. Decades before the atom was split. Does that make Wells a ‘prophet’? Many believe ‘prophets’ have some sort of personal ‘red phone hot-line’ to ‘god’. No hot phone. No god. That’s all too easy. Too ‘pat’. Simplistic. Stuff happens, then we try to come up with ‘plausible’ stories to make sense of it all. Some think ‘prophecies’ are just such plausible explanations. I do not. And I don’t think there are or ever have been men–and it’s always men–who receive personal Tweets from some deity ‘up there’. Jon Stewart is an entertainer with a good heart and brain. I like him. But he’s no ‘prophet’.

  • mcleangirl

    Jon Stewart is moral, prescient, observant, talented, cogent, and sensitive. I was stunned by his beautiful defense when hosting Mike Huckabee of the rights of gays to be treated like their non-gay co-citizens. It is an episode that everyone should google and see. In it Jon shows the wisdom one would expect from a rabbi and the compassion one should expect of a Christian.

  • zayxln

    I Think John Stewart is a very intelligent, qualified, honest and balanced commentator. Full of responsible ideas and probably a better politician that the big majority in Congress. But I also think that prophet is a jewish invention to avoid hard work and brain wash the not too bright and simple people. Thing that John have probed to be the contrary.

  • jakesfriend1

    Good day guys. Don’t listen to Stewart but he definitely has a spin on life that is refreshing, for the most part. I have always ben fascinated by those people who claim there is no God, but yet nearly 6 billion people worldwide believe there is in one shape or another. I guess we are all wrong and the 500 million of atheists, agnostics and heathens, must be right. I guess I will just have to re-think my position of God, Yeshua, Allah, Jehovah. I’ll get back to you when He gives me the OK to disown Him. Until then……….

  • Paganplace

    I mean, Denis *Leary,* now he can be funny sometimes, even if he says mean and ‘conservative’ things a lot, cause his stage character is that-technical-term and he *knows* it. It requires more *honesty* than you can have with a ‘conservative agenda.’

  • Michael_A1

    For those attempting to refute evolution, please see the National Geographic issue that has the front-page title “Was Darwin Wrong?” (no is the answer) In that issue, there are many details why evolution as a theory has the strongest empirical support. So much so, that if one does not believe in evolution, that person should not believe in electricity for example. Evolution, while labeled a theory, has the most support of any theory ever concieved of by man. And for those quoting the bible, your belief in your god, does not make others beliefs in their gods any less accurate. So which god is correct? None – all gods have been invented by man – this has always been the case; and furthermore, there is zero proof of any god, and volumes of proof for evolution. Also, there are theologians that say the two are not mutually exclusive. Read the article, read Darwin’s work – just start reading about the scientific method, and compare that to ‘belief’ and ‘faith’. I put my ‘faith’ in the scientific process any day.

  • harkadahl

    Stewart stands out from the crowd in the US because intellect, insight and satire are such under-developed aspects of the American psyche. So when a genuinely clever man with an endearing wit does show up, there is a stampede to hyperbole – like designating him a prohpet! No, he is not a prophet, just a comedien who rose to prominance at a time when the country was drowning in idiocy and befriending the dark side. His service to the country outstripped anything the entire Republican Party had to offer in 8 long miserable years.

  • Paganplace

    I mean, you should have heard what we called his ‘Dead Leaf Theory’ in which the circumference of the Earth increased because trees dropped leaves in his ‘Young Earth.’ Classic. 🙂

  • Paganplace

    (Punchline being, of course, “I”m an engineer, you idiots!) 🙂

  • Paganplace

    Then there was always the more recent, ‘The East And West Coasts are More vulnerable to Nucular ICBM Attack, it’s not rocket science!’ Of course it *is* rocket science, that’s why the idea always was to shoot the Godsforsaken things over the North Pole. Hahaha. Good fun, though. 🙂

  • cjdk

    “hi, i’m a prophet. my name was jeremiah, but that sounded too ethnic so i changed it to george. . .”what rot. stewart is a shill for the entertainment establishment given to easy pronouncements like ‘truman was a war criminal.’ easy to say when nobody in your studio audience knows who harry truman was, what he did, or why it was controversial. . .on the other hand, stewart is a good prophet for your garden variety religion commentator at a culturally secular mass media organ.prophets tell hard truths and aren’t supposed to make their audiences feel ‘yeah, we’re the in crowd, not like those losers he’s flaying.’ when stewart turns his color-by-numbers wit on himself and those who lap up his offerings, then he’ll show some edge. until then, he’s simply a prophet of comfort for those in search of security.

  • KraftPaper

    Jon was funny when his writers had Bush to poke fun at. There’s nothing funny about political humor when all you can say is Fox News is run by the Republicans. To spend several episodes on “Morning Joe” and bicker with their insults is stooping too low. There are some very funny comedians on the show including Jason Jones, John Oliver, Aasif Manvi, Wyatt Cenac and Larry Wilmore. But the laughs have been let out of the baloon as monotony has taken over and boredom set in. The bottom line is Jon’s lost his touch. His own laugh is fake at this point. But on the bright side he has educated us in humor. I think Jon’s efforts to make a living and cast the Bush people as too straight to be running things caught on because it was true. Now his zeal has petered out. There’s less to laugh at. More, much more could have been done with the bailout, but I think Jon had to pay tribute to the media moguls and hold the line on who made out and who didn’t. After several spin offs it’s time to go. The show is Mort Saul on Prozac. It’s lost its daring, its innovation, its timing. Mostly it’s just repetitive. Did I say repetitive and boring?

  • DavidTR

    Spiderman2 – I don’t think the word “algorithm” means what you think it means.

  • iamerican

    Should my last comment not be added: here it is

  • Spring_Rain

    @ASDF4-I don’t see Bill Maher “hardened” in his viewpoints at all-but if indeed that has happened, then that’s okay, because it means HE HAS AN OPINION, HE’S STICKING TO IT, AND HE’S NOT AFRAID TO STATE IT. I’m not so sure Jon Stewart is, believe it or not, a little afraid to come out there and get TOO controversial-THAT IS PRECISELY WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BILL MAHER-HE AIN’T AFRAID TO BE FUNNY ABOUT THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECTS-FAR MORE LIKELY TO TAKE RISKS IN THAT REGARD THAN STEWART-RECALL WHAT MAHER SAID ABOUT THE 9/11 HIJACKERS NOT BEING “COWARDS”-MAHER WAS RIGHT ON-BUT WAS ABSOLUTELY PILLIORED IN THE MAINSTREAM PRESS FOR NOT BEING PATRIOTIC ENOUGH! WHAT ASININE BS! MAHER IS THE REAL THING, AND HUGELY FUNNY TO BOOT!As for Richard Pryor, I actually MET Richard Pryor in Oakland Calif. once-in his prime, Pryor was enormously funny-as well as being very INSIGHTFUL. His classic Pryor Live movie from 1979 I think was incredible.

  • DrWho2

    To Farnaz1Mansouri1Thanks for your reply and the links. I read them, and have come to the conclusion that based solely on the measure of humor, and in comparison, Jon may be the greatest prophet yet. : )

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    Richard Pryor, well, there was genius. An equal opportunity satirist. No one was exempt, left, right, center, all religions, “races,” ethnic groups, etc.The best, IMHO.

  • free_thinker

    The more I get to know Jon Stewart – albeit, though the filter of my flat screen – the more I admire, not only his satire and political discourse, but his honesty and deprecation. Unlike other commentators (Glen Beck and O’Reilly come to mind) Stewart doesn’t seem to be in love w/his own image or his over-inflated ego. Those gentlemen, in my opinion sadly do think of themselves as prophetic (literally) – although, there could be a stronger argument for them being pathetic, instead. Jon Stewart is not a prophet and I doubt if you will ever see or hear him agree to anything that superfluous about himself.

  • shelter1

    It seems this has forum has become a debate about God’s existence. We fear to believe and fear not to believe, yet here we all gather as one. Maybe its both and maybe Jon is and isn’t a prophet and maybe this isn’t as safe an answer as some would suspect.

  • JNelson4

    Your decision that Stewart is not a prophet only reinforces that he is a prophet.

  • BennyFactor

    I think it is a misnomer to use the title prophet in a religious sense, since all Old Testament prophesy pointed to the birth, death and resurrection of the Christ – and the need for prophesy ended in Gethsemane. I do think, however, that Mr. Stewart has the gift of discernment, as provided by the Holy Spirit, and he exercises it fearlessly, as we all should.

  • Fredneck2

    Will Rogers??? He’s not even Roy Rogers. But, he is a smart, funny guy with good writers who gets intriguing guests, and can take it as well as give it out. Not bad for a washed up college soccer player.

  • Chops2

    Spidermean:”How can I admit I am wrong when I can see the prophecies happening right before my very eyes”.But once u give in solely to belief u see what u want and logic dissapears from your reasoning process. If I believe UFO’s land everyday then everytime I see a light in the sky, by my belief system, that light must be a UFO. Any other possibility is irrelevant to my mind.And that is where u r. U see what u want not what it is. U see prohpecies happening b4 your eyes, but so did all the others that have passed b4 u claiming armageddon and were wrong. Isn’t it possible that its just the way humanity is, that people will always be in conflict and that it is not a prophecy at all?So again I ask, if this armageddon u believe will happen (which u can not provide a date for nor explain how exactly it will happen, even though u claim to know it will happen)does NOT occur in 5, 10, 50, 100, 1000 years, at what point do u admit your wrong?If your answer is never, then u r incapable of reason and should take a deep look at yourself.

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    Spring_Rain:”-RECALL WHAT MAHER SAID ABOUT THE 9/11 HIJACKERS NOT BEING “COWARDS”-“That is what did him in. The president (Bush) expressed his sadness at Bill’s opining and the “media” rushed to “patriotic” judgment. Pretty McCarthy-esque, IMHO. Maher was NOT praising the highjackers–that was readily apparent–but might, with his comment, have opened the door to more complex discussion, notwithstanding his venue. Silencing him effectively precluded more nuanced discussion. Was that the point of shutting him down, I wonder?

  • dgblues

    “I don’t think Jon Stewart qualifies as a prophet, but who’s to say God doesn’t also send us court jesters?”The same people who say Santa Claus didn’t bring him, either. And that being a prophet is in the eye of the beholder: an apparition strictly in the eye of those who convince themselves they see one, kinda like UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, angels, and an America governed by its citizens, not corporations.

  • spidermean2

    Chops2 wrote “Generation after generation of christians go by certain it will happen in their lifetime and it has not. How can I admit Iam wrong when I can see the prophecies happening right before my very eyes. There is no “son of man” coming in the near future. The problem with unbelievers is that they don’t understand how to interpret the Bible.When the time comes that the U.S will have more than 15 enemies fighting against it, start praying coz Doomsday is very near.The Jews who malign Jesus Christ will pay dearly for their unbelief. For a while America will be defeated and there’s nobody to protect them when that happens.

  • spidermean2

    Algorithm is the process or the approach on how to solve a problem or an explanation of how an existing system works.Bevjims claims that a thunderstorm has no algorithm. Of course it has. It’s part of the cycle of evaporation and condensation on a grand scale. Bevjims, do you eat stones? How come nothing comes out from your brain correct?

  • Spring_Rain

    Sorry, I’m not the big fan of Jon Stewart-I actually know, don’t think, KNOW he’s not really a naturally funny person; that would be Bill Maher or a Jay Leno, Stewart’s humor is largely scripted. I like Stewart ok, but I like Bill Maher far better; Bill Maher is much more astute about political events, and really does make me laugh-Stewart? Not so much.

  • iamerican

    Crucifixion was the specific and unique punishment for only one crime under codified Roman law: the second conviction for sedition – denying that Caesar was god.Accept Thomas Jefferson as Prophet of G-d and believe the Creed, or be kind enough to recognize America is not where you belong.

  • spidermean2

    Anybody who thinks Jon Stewart is a prophet is a fool and needs his brain overhauled.

  • asdf4

    Something not well known about comics (and forgive me if I presume some authority on the matter–it is area of expertise and experience) is that they are often the smartest people in the room. And even among comics, Jon Stewart is way out there, rarified air. This man is really intelligent. And together with his writers (comics) and reporters (more comics) they have built up a powerhouse of skill and ability. You would think that this would not be news to anyone, but the degree to which they are underestimated is staggering. Just read the posted comments here. Look at what they did to the Times the other day. And the last ten seconds of the Newt interview was the most complete outing of Newt’s character that has probably ever been done.But a prophet? It is one thing to see The Daily Show and Jon Stewart underestimated. It is another to see it happen over and over and over. But it is a whole new realm of stupidity when people are so awed by intelligence and skill that they start looking for divine explanations.

  • zaphod71828

    Some poster posted:”Have some from those many Americans who wandered from their religious cocoons begun looking for religion a little closer to reality?”Huh? What do reality and religion have to do with one another? It is, be definition, impossible for religion to come anywhere close to reality.

  • spidermean2

    Chops2, how about the prophecy that there’s war coming between the U.S and with either Iran or NKorea. That is in the Bible but a lot of people don’t know that.Next will be another much bigger war. It’s also in the Bible. The Bible has described what countries are involved and it describes very clearly who are these countries. So how can I not believe the Bible if what I see happening now are exactly how the Bible tells it.Just wait a while coz it will happen. You don’t have to wait that long. As I’ve said in my previous blog, no previous generation can understand the Book of Revelation better than the people who are born today. In fact Apostle John himself, who wrote the book has no way of understanding it except he be born today. That’s how mysterious and magnificent that book is.An idiot, like an evolutionist can NEVER understand that book.The Jews, for their unbelief and maligning of Christ, will pay a heavy high price in the near future. Afterwhich, those who will remain will finally believe Christ. That also is in the Bible.Like in the days of Moses, Israel will be in bondaged again and the plagues will once more visit the world. Not the same plagues but much more deadly.

  • asdf4

    If I could comment on the Maher/Stewart comparison. There is an element of taste in humor. Both are funny and gifted. The problem I have with Maher is that he seems to have hardened his thinking in certain respects, which limits him. But, spring_rain, if you’re going to get into who is funny, every comic I’ve met in 25 years (I’d bet Maher, Stewart, and Leno would agree) name Pryor as the best. You didn’t mention, perhaps not your taste?

  • joebanks

    The tacit assumption here is that prophets are creating a religious platform for their own observations, i.e. using “God” to give their words weight. A prophet, it seems, is simply a gadfly who is, at best, inspired by God to the “Truth”. That definition is treading a little too casually on a person’s faith for me. Prophets, from Moses up to Jesus, are a very touchy subject for anyone. They are direct evidence of contact with God and belief in divinity is required. Calling someone a prophet is serious business.Wallis had the decency to qualify his statement to mean “Prophet-like,” but Brueggemann’s quote assumes the prophet exploits fraud for the sake of the political high ground. Both show a somewhat cynical skepticism, but what’s truly irritating about Wallis’s comment is the need to butt in and force an evangelical context to a clearly secular situation. The arrogant self-importance of religiosity rears its unwanted head.Stewart’s self deprecating quote is the best answer. Good choice. And calling him the Will Rogers of the day really cuts through the BS and sums up the argument: well said.

  • georgedixon1

    A left-wing comedian who is afraid to either poke fun at the left or use his real last name is lame………..

  • shelter1

    Does calling each other idiots accomplish anything.. it certainly takes away from your arguments

  • bevjims1

    Stewart is no prophet and he is also no court jestor. But he has found something missing in previous politics, a method for media to expose political hypocrisy and other actions of our political elite. In traditional media the serious reporter/commentator would, well, be serious about the uncovered problem and we become angry at the news. However these reporters treat the politician with high respect, honoring them as though they were nobelmen. Stewart brings politicians off their pedestals and in the guise of humor points out the problem usually with a comedic punch. The difference is we laugh as Stewart points out the problem while we get angry as the serious reporter tells us about it. But the result is the same as in both cases we very the politician with distain. Stewart has uncovered a quirk in people, that we can receive the same information presented differently and have a different reaction, humor when presented by Stewart, anger when presented by CNN.But there is another issue that is very important. Politicians and political parties have tried to influence the media to hold off on embarassing news, and there is sometimes a cushiness between politicians and the reporters thatcover them, as many saw between reporters and the Bush White House these last 8 years. But Comedy Central is probably the least likely media channel to be affected by influence. It has other sources of income besides the Daily Show, unlike CNN or MSNBC, which are strictly news media. So Stewart has not only found a niche in his method of reporting political misdeeds and hypocrisy, he has found it in a media that is not affected by political power. And that is just as important.

  • InRealAmerica

    Stewart a prophet? Naaaahhh. Now, Lenny Bruce, THERE was a prophet.

  • spidermean2

    Bevjims is an evolutionists and would opt to watch Stewart rather than CNN for current news. Why am I not surprised?

  • iamerican

    Brueggemann is nothing but an apologist for Rome/Amalek.Jefferson’s prophecy established the civil religion of America: the New Secular Order. For those incapable of wrapping their minds around America as The Promised Land try panentheism: All in G-d…or spend the rest of your lives dealing with black holes, sun spots, and infinity.

  • wilkestraphill

    I more frequently think Jon has more of the TRUTH and the guts to state it – in a satirical manner – than most Congresspersons.From the Bushies, JON always spoke TRUTH TO POWER…I GOT more of THE Daily News while laughing with Jon than I got from anyone involved with Bush or his enablers and supporters.Jon, keep it up. You could easily do Meet the Press, ask serious questions and do it in such a way that we could actually enjoy hearing the worst of what happened without

  • spidermean2

    Darwinian Evolutionists should not be seen as respectable and smart. They should be addressed exactly as what they are : idiots.We keep the place safe if we put DANGER signs on dangerous places. Me calling them idiots is my way of placing those DANGER signs.This world has become a very dangerous place because our kids are bombarded with such stupidity. Those kids are grown-up people now and a lot of them continue to spread the stupidity disease. Soon the world will simply just explode because stupidity and destrcution always go hand in hand.

  • theobserver4

    Anybody who thinks Jon Stewart is a prophet is a fool and needs his brain overhauled.Posted by: spidermean2******************************************************I just worked the algorithms for political satire and it turns out that he is a direct descendant of Moses.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 soothsaid: “Bevjims is an evolutionists and would opt to watch Stewart rather than CNN for current news. Why am I not surprised?”Anyone who puts their complete faith into a belief, yet cannot explain parts of that belief, like how kangaroos hopped to Australia from the ark, as no business explaining what other people believe.

  • ScottChallenger

    So the liberal truth-teller is now all-of-a-sudden a conservative darling because he..hush hush…could be a…oh my word…a prophet!!!!!And maybe he’ll start his own religion too. Maybe he’ll copy Hannity, O’Reilly, and every other idoit with a conservative mouth and strat robbing liberals blind, selling them propaganda BS off his web site and singing the Marine fight song all the while having sex with his producer’s wife.

  • bevjims1

    JakesFriend1 wrote: “I have always ben fascinated by those people who claim there is no God, but yet nearly 6 billion people worldwide believe there is in one shape or another. I guess we are all wrong and the 500 million of atheists, agnostics and heathens, must be right.”I’ve always been fascinated that Chrsitian children believe in Santa Claus. I guess the small minority of christian children who do not believe for one reason or another must be wrong. And consider that Christians have Christian children, Muslims have Muslim children and Jews have Jewish children. Maybe its in the genes, but I doubt it. Can you explain why people overwhelmingly believe what their parents taught them since childhood and rarely another religion?

  • spidermean2

    “I just worked the algorithms for political satire and it turns out that he is a direct descendant of Moses.”What does that mean? That evolutionists who believe they descended from monkeys are expert climbers of trees? Im still waiting for evolutionists to come out and explain how they have constructed the algorithm of decendancy just by examining bones. The first evolutionists like Darwin never had imagined that bones are designed or formed by DNAs. How on earth can Stewart be a prophet just because he descended from Moses?

  • awatts1

    How sad is this. The Bible is finished. We have God’s word in our own language. Is this the best you can do? John Stewart is just another loser comedian that gets a job because he hates christianity like Joy Behar and Bill Maher. They are famous because it’s ok to hate conservatives and they get a pass. This is laughable.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 wrote: “Bevjims claims that a thunderstorm has no algorithm. Of course it has. It’s part of the cycle of evaporation and condensation on a grand scale.”THAT is your description of the algorithm? The cycle of evaporation and condensation? That’s it? Well then, the algorithm of the brain is chemicals being released from nerve to nerve on a grand scale. There ya go. I should have guessed it would be simple.spidermean2 wrote: “Bevjims, do you eat stones? How come nothing comes out from your brain correct?”Speaking of eating stones, why do we need salt? We don’t live in the sea, so why must we eat salt? Why would God make us need salt? Where’s the algorithm?

  • spidermean2

    “Anyone who puts their complete faith into a belief, yet cannot explain parts of that belief, like how kangaroos hopped to Australia from the ark, as no business explaining what other people believe.” Posted by: bevjims1 Kangaroos didn’t hopped to Australia. Now does that answer your question? Now answer mine. From what specie kangaroos evolved? From a rabbit or from a collie jumping with its two hind legs?It’s so much easier to believe that a kangaroo could hug a log floating to Australia than a rabbit evolving into a kangaroo. The former is possible but the latter is IMPOSSIBLE.

  • bevjims1

    Spidermean2, you claim to have knowledge from the book of Revelations that others do not. You say you know what wars are coming, what nations are involved etc. Here is your chance to lay it all out. Please provide the upcoming wars, the nations involved, dates, etc. If you do not you can count yourself as one of the thousands who have come before you, providing vague references while claiming the bible gives you knowledge of the future. So lets see what you got…

  • willandjansdad1

    Spidermean….Pirates!

  • bobdog3

    Hello. Nanook here, from Canada, again. What wonderfully spiritual discussions you Americans have! However, in Canada we don’t believe that Jon Stewart is a mere prophet – we know for a fact that he is God Almighty, incarnate even, sent to the United States of America to teach us all the one true way of the left. That damnable Stephen Colbert is a prophet – and a false one at that (sent by Satan) – but we in Canada do not follow the teachings of the Colbert. The true state religion of Canada is now Stewartism – that abiding belief in all things liberal and socialistic, that decency and tolerance will triumph over right-wing boogiemen and tax cuts for the rich. There is a chicken in every single pot in Canada, and we all work in state factories that produce maple syrup and knitted wollen hats, but we’re happy, jondamnit, and we’re safe, safe in the arms of our Lord and saviour Jon, from whom all blessings and tax increases flow. Praise the Jon, Praise the Stewart, and God Bless The Daily Show of America – the word of our Lord five nights a week, with weekends off!

  • spidermean2

    Bevjims, cctually I named some already in my previous posts. You’re not just listening or maybe just absent from those discussions.More than 15 countries will rise against America when it is at its weakest. Had anybody predicted that already before? I think none.A big portion of those countries are evolutionists and …bleap (censored).When the time that these things that I mentioned takes place, start praying. God may have mercy on you and the rest who ridicule Christ.

  • iamerican

    Nanook shows his/her distance from G-d by failing to recognize that in America even practicing Roman Catholics like Stephen Colbert can be fully servants of G-d: true American patriots.Colbert’s patriotism and Alberto Cutie’s conversion spell death for the Roman Anti-Christ in America. Would that Canada and Mexico could say the same.

  • alex35332

    Profit.. Of course not don’t be stupid. Stuart may be one of the smartest people on TV, he probably is smarter then 70% of the people elected to office and he gets it, that our day to day world is deliciously absurd, that world leaders are detached from every day life and that 90% of the suffering in the world is due to our own stupidity.

  • ccnl1

    Comments about Revelations:”Nineteenth-century agnostic Robert G. Ingersoll branded Revelation “the insanest of all books”.[30] Thomas Jefferson omitted it along with most of the Biblical canon, from the Jefferson Bible, and wrote that at one time, he “considered it as merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.” [31] “Martin Luther found it an offensive piece of work” and John Calvin “had grave doubts about its value.”[32]The cited references can be found in Wikipedia’s review of Revelations.

  • alex35332

    I don’t give a sh*t about ones politics BOBDOG3 was just funny right there.

  • spidermean2

    Bevjims wrote “THAT is your description of the algorithm? The cycle of evaporation and condensation? That’s it?”Of course not. I just gave you an overview that thunderstorm follow basic scientific principles. We’ve tested in the lab that evaporated water will condense as rain. More evaporation, more rain. Cover all the seas and there will be no more thunderstorm.So what’s the algorithm for Darwinian Evolution? What triggers a specie to turn into another specie? Im interested coz I want to evolve my hands into wings.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 painfully wrote: “Kangaroos didn’t hopped to Australia. Now does that answer your question?”Then how did they get there from the ark?spidermean2 asked: “Now answer mine. From what specie kangaroos evolved? From a rabbit or from a collie jumping with its two hind legs?”Well, rabbits and collies are mammals while kangaroos are marsupials with very different methods of birthing their young, so likely neither would have evolved into kangaroos, especially when we find no evidence of collies or rabbits in the ancient Australian past. And evolution would not agree that a collie could produce a kangaroo in one generation. Too many changes would have to happen at once. But there are many other marsupials that the kangaroos could have evolved from in Australia’s past as shown in the fossil record. But I’m sure that’s not as convincing as saying that God said “let there be kangaroos”. Much simpler for much simpler minds. He’s some light reading in case you really want to know the truth:spidermean2 asked: “It’s so much easier to believe that a kangaroo could hug a log floating to Australia than a rabbit evolving into a kangaroo. The former is possible but the latter is IMPOSSIBLE.”I agree, but there is no evidence that kanagroos just appeared on day in Australia, as their is for the Aborigine people there. If kangaroos floated on logs then there would be evidence of a sudden appearence in the fossil record, yet kangaroos go way back (25 million years) in the fossil past. Plus, you’d have to explain how all the other animals in Australia floated there by logs. Must have been a lot of logs. But again, no evidence of a sudden appearence of other animals either, just man who we can assume used boats. Drat science and how it keeps getting in the way of fantasy!

  • overed

    Posted by: DwightCollins….. who has a show on the comedy network because his reporting’s are nothing but a joke…

  • spidermean2

    “Great show, I hope it runs another 10 years”Im not so sure about that. Stupidity does have a short lifespan. Yes he is funny but I hope he refrains from degrading Christ too often especially in this time where the wrath of God is very soon coming.

  • spidermean2

    Bevjims, forget about the millions of years. Im still waiting for evolutionists to come out and explain how they have constructed the algorithm of decendancy just by examining bones. The first evolutionists like Darwin never had imagined that bones are designed or formed by DNAs. Can’t you guys fix your brains? Just concentrate on your brains. How does your brain work? How did it evolved into a thinking machine? Or is that a wrong question coz obviously, you guys don’t think. If you claim to know, as you always have answers for everything, then why not create a brain or an artificial brain that can match even the brain of a worm? You can’t coz you guys are idiots. The brain has more information in it than bones. You guys should be looking for the brains of those prehistoric animals and study them so it can be told that you have some sort of a complete picture. But it’s impossible to have a complete picture coz nobody understands fully how a brain works.idiots.I hope Jon Stewart would realize that there are lots of material from evolution to laugh at. Lots of them that he could extend his show for a thousand years more.

  • bayougirl

    Well as a Christian who reads the Hebrew Testament and the New Testament every Sunday to find one prophesizing the other, since Jon is Jewish (Hebrew), we’ll just have to wait until another New Testament is written to really find out if he’s a profit or not.I can see it now 1 Jon 5:1 – 2 “And I say unto thee, behold there will be non-white dude elected president that the media will twist themselves up like pretzels trying to analyze and speculate over in an endless droning of 24-hour news. It will be pronounced good, though it will not be.”Would that mean Colbert is writing the New Testament?

  • kentuckywoman2

    If my biblical studies serve me rightly, I believe that only God can call a man or woman to be a prophet. Furthermore, I believe that part of being a prophet is telling the truth to the people, yes, but it has to be the truth that God tells the prophet to convey.So I don’t think Jon Stewart qualifies as a prophet in that strict sense of the word.However, I also believe that there are prophets on earth, but THE PEOPLE ARE NO LONGER LISTENING.Jon Stewart has deftly realized what his audience needs and he gives it. I would guess that if no one is listening to God’s prophets, then God will find another way to try to make the people listen. I don’t find God, at all, in most of the televangical, fundamentalist, so-called preachers. They’re just there to make a fortune off their followers, and I’m sure that if there is a Hell, God reserves a special place for them there.

  • spidermean2

    Since evolutionists are fond of stating the phrase “MILLIONS OF YEARS”, surely they may have found the relation of TIME to the process of EVOLUTION. Waht is so magical in TIME that species should have to evolve? If a monkey decides not to climb trees anymore, does TIME has some power to evolve him into another specie, like into human? Is it the WILLPOWER in them not to climb trees or the magic in the “MILLION OF YEARS” that’s making them to evolve?What triggers the evolution. I want to know so I can use the logic involved to let my gadgets evolve by themselves. idiots.Thru TIME, it will rot and thru WILLPOWER, it has none.What? what? what? Please anwer me stupid evolutionists.

  • jrzwrld

    Jersey boy makes good! He’s my voice of reason, frankly, but I don’t believe in prophets. I think Stewart is way better than a prophet. Even when he gets something wrong, he’s raising intelligent questions that people should think about. And he’s not a partisan hack – he gives it to both sides equally. Unfortunately the Republicans have been providing waaaaaay too much fodder these past few years. We’ll see what happens now that the power is in the hands of the Democrats. He’s no prophet, but he is one of the most important voices in the country right now, and I wonder what the future holds for him and how he will go down in history.

  • Rationalista

    Ha ha! Spidermean2 has been out-crazied by Liveandlove and the person who thinks Jon Stewart is a “Whig.” Whew! What’s Spidey going to do now? He’ll have to start by using WAY more capital letters, I think.

  • gfhoward258

    If the media can say Obama is God, then why can’t Jon be a prophet?

  • Chops2

    spidermean:In all seriousness, at what point, be it in 50, 100 or a thousand years, if “gods wrath” has not befallen us and Jesus has not returned would you admit that the story of christianity and the return of Christ, rapture and the rest of it is bogus?Generation after generation of christians go by certain it will happen in their lifetime and it has not. At what point do u admit u r wrong?I will admit I am wrong if what u say actually happens. Can u offer a similar nuanced response?

  • alf1052

    The Prophet union must be pulling its collective beards out. Jesus just resigned and Mohammed wants a recount.

  • hauthot

    Humor is a side door to truth.

  • ccnl1

    Spidermean2/Spiderman2 aka Canyon Shearer, Bible Thumper, Fortune Teller and Severely Brainwashed in that Old Time Religion,Thomas Jefferson et al simply read the book to see it ranks up there with Santa Clause flying in a reindeer pulled sleigh, three little pigs going to market and Jack and bean stalk as being pure fiction!!! But maybe you have proof that it is not???

  • Chops2

    Spidermean:So N. Korea is mentioned in the bible is it? Please cite the passage. So its between either Iran or N. Korea, but u know its coming, why dont u know who its between? Why not Russia or China? Why not an Islamic fundie with a dirty bomb? My point, which u have just proven, is people like yourself see prophecy in what occurs in the world when there are far more probabilities to look for b4 the conclusion that it is prophecy is reached. My previous example of someone that looks in the sky and only see’s UFO’s is relevant again. There are far more probabilities to examine b4 u reach a conclusion that a light in the sky is a UFO. Its called reason and logic. Likewise here with prophecy.If we were having this (losely called) debate during the 50’s, u would say that armageddon is coming and we will be at war with China or Russia. Do u understand my point? Your reaching at straws in a current context to justify prophecy as others b4 u have done and they were wrong. Generations have passed saying the same as u and the “prophecy” has not transpired. They were wrong.So I ask again, and u have put your reputation on the line by attempting to be specific, if this war with either Iran or N. Korea does not occur at what point will u admit these prophecies r bogus?

  • iamerican

    Our Founder, Author and Prophet, Thomas Jefferson, made an often recurring distinction between The Bible and “the New Testament,” yet, in his unsent 1810 letter to Samuel Kercheval he confirms Schofield’s later gloss of Revelation 17-20: Rome, “the city on seven hills,” is “an engine for enslaving mankind,””the real Anti-Christ.” Mr. Jefferson, a Gentile, raised “Church of England,” of Huguenot and Welsh stock was able to glean this truth from a thorough study of history, religion and European society more than a century before that historic geopolitical entity he described committed the Holocaust and, with its burgeoning “Fifth Column,” assassinated his founded country’s leaders, and committed 9/11, to take us to false war.A great American, Jon Stewart identifies himself as a whig. So too should all who appreciate American ideals, The Creed, and the “Infinite Power which rules the destinies of the universe.” Our Founders were whigs. Whigs hold that history unfolds as a result of the conflict between Rome, and everyone else.There is but one Creator, G-d. Prophets and sages, teachers and healers all come from It.May Jon Stewart continue to be blessed of G-d, that America be blessed by his prophetic humor and gracious wisdom.A prophet is merely a person who, in the Spirit of G-d, tells the truth. Would that there were more prophets in America.Methinks Jon Stewart is one. All can be, for each of us, and all creation, is a holographic “chip” off the Divine “Block.”American Exceptionalism, realized as “a nation of priests,” with Justice established in the Land, in Truth, is its finest manifestation on earth.The American Dream is G-d’s dream. Jon Stewart is helping all Americans regain it.Death for Treason

  • James10

    I take it this piece means it’s a “slow day” for religious events and issues.That’s cool.

  • Bluefish2012

    It really is time for these comments to be edited. Irresponsible nut jobs should be kept off this site.Freedom of speech does not equal licentious speech.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 dodged: “When the time that these things that I mentioned takes place, start praying. God may have mercy on you and the rest who ridicule Christ.”What are they? You’ve mentioned there are 15 nations that will attack the US and they are mentioned in the bible. Lay them out. Which 15 and where are the biblical references. If you cannot name the nations and backup your statements you are just a soothsayer. Oh, and a time of attack would be helpful but I’m sure you won’t provide that either. Nothing worse than a soothsayer being pinned down on anything.

  • bevjims1

    spidermean2 wrote: “Of course not. I just gave you an overview that thunderstorm follow basic scientific principles. We’ve tested in the lab that evaporated water will condense as rain. More evaporation, more rain. Cover all the seas and there will be no more thunderstorm.”Well then, since you understand the dynamics of the water cycle on earth how do you explain 40 days and 40 nights of rain flooding the earth? If the water flows back into the seas from where it came, how does the water acumulate? spidermean2 wrote: “So what’s the algorithm for Darwinian Evolution? What triggers a specie to turn into another specie? Im interested coz I want to evolve my hands into wings.”Well there’s your first problem in understanding the algorithm. No species develops a trait because they “want” that trait. That’s Lamarkian and considered how the simple think of evolution. The simple algorithm is that species evolve through natural selection, nature, through the death of the weak, selects traits that are passed to the next generation. As the environment changes so do the selected traits. Over time the changes are so great that they are a new species, unable to produce offspring with another population that remained unchanged. If you realy really want to understand this algorithm more deeply, start with the following:

  • iamerican

    If the above Bush apologist is referring to my comments as “licentious,” here is a link proving your “hero” committed 9/11Dismissing 9/11 discourse, in pursuit of the knowable truth, is where Bill Maher showed his true colors: he is no man and no American – only to be shunned.

  • DrWho2

    As far as that Old Time religon, these people are actually very terrified that they will not have done enough to appease their tainted version of God and end up burning in hell for eternity. So they have to rave at everyone else about what idiots they are, so in the end they can claim to have done everything possible to convert others and argue therefore they don’t deserve damnation. It is really to save their own asses, not others from a preceived threat, so don’t let them fool you. Such a sad and unspiritual way to live and preceive the will of the Universal Being.

  • Farnaz1Mansouri1

    There is something, in fact, many things wrong with the 9/11 Report. Sort of reads like the original official version of the Kennedy assassination. The press failed us both times. But, then, these are only two of many. Today, they are failing us with Iran.

  • spidermean2

    CCNL,Jefferson, Luther and Calvin were not born in this generation. As I’ve said, it is impossible for previous generations to understand the Bible including the writer who is Apostle John.How can Martin Luther, for example, could have linked America to the prophecy when he was born at a time when there was no America?How can Jefferson and Calvin decifer it when the boundaries in the world were not the same as it is drawn today?Also how can cities be devasted in one hour when at their time there are no nukes around?

  • ccnl1

    Correction:Comments about Revelation:”Nineteenth-century agnostic Robert G. Ingersoll branded Revelation “the insanest of all books”.[30]Thomas Jefferson omitted it along with most of the Biblical canon, from the Jefferson Bible, and wrote that at one time, he “considered it as merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.” [31] “Martin Luther found it an offensive piece of work” and John Calvin “had grave doubts about its value.”[32]The cited references can be found in Wikipedia’s review of Revelation.

  • kalidescopemind

    Jon is a socially conscious Jew with a huge megaphone and associated following. His modesty aside, if he is not a prophet, who needs prophets?

  • iamerican

    That’s right FARNAZ1MANSOURI1, but this is how, through a manner of “negative templating” the “absence” of G-d’s hand in a cohesive pattern through history can be an empirical proof of institutionalized opposition to the Divine in Creation: known as Anti-Christ, or Amalek.The entity identified by one who was clearly an anointed prophet, Thomas Jefferson, as “the real Anti-Christ,” is inextricably tagged in history: from crucifixion as the codified Roman law’s punishment for only the second conviction for sedition (denying the divinity of Caesar), through institutionalized molestation and homosexuality, to the finance of Hitler and the Holocaust, to McCarthyism, the assassination of Kennedy and King, Vietnam, cheating a draft-dodging hypocrite/closet-queen into the WH and 9/11.Tracing the path of knowable institutionalized factional evil juxtaposed with cultures which have opposed evil and survived, like Judaism and Americanism/Jeffersonian Whiggism, suggests convincingly that beyond “the veil of evil,” called Maya by Hindus, the Perfect Origin, Divine Providence is accessible to all.In our Western Culture that evil, properly identified and isolated, can be “cast into the Pit.” It is, as Mr. Jefferson stated, “an engine for enslaving mankind.”Rome’s motto is “Urbis et Orbis,” City and World, which it believes it was given by G-d. It is mistaken and America’s Founders proved it for a time, by creed, guiding this Nation by “Annuit Coeptis:” Divine Providence blesses our endeavors.Truth and Justice are G-d’s “gauge blocks” in the world. Bush and Cheney committed 9/11, Bush’s father killed Kennedy and King, and Bush’s grandfather was the money conduit from the Roman Catholic church’s collection plate in America, through Vatican bank correspondent and Bush-overlord Rockefeller, to the author of “I Paid Hitler,” papal baron Fritz “The Rockefeller of Germany” Thyssen.This evil shall not stand in Righteous America. Obama is a good start but Justice must be established in the Land.Death for Treason…that G-d might bless America once more.